Using Garmin MapSource and your USB Programmer with User Data Card.
Note: ALTHOUGH THIS PAGE IS PUBLIC AND INFORMATIVE, WE ONLY OFFER PHONE AND EMAIL SUPPORT TO OUR FISHING SPOTS CUSTOMERS. SEE WHICH OLDER GARMIN GPS MODELS MUST USE THIS PROCESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
READ ALL BELOW BEFORE CONNECTING THE GARMIN USB PROGRAMMER. This process works with ALL Garmin units which accept the old style Garmin Data Card (Garmin Blue Chart Chip/Card). See the list of old Garmin models that require this process at the bottom of this page. Also, find out where to get Garmin MapSource Software and a Garmin USB Programmer Cable and Garmin USB Data Card at the bottom of this page.
KEEP IN MIND, YOU HAVE AN OUT OF DATE GARMIN GPS THAT IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED IN ANY WAY, SO THIS HAS TO BE DONE EXACTLY AS SHOWN WITH THE PROPER WINDOWS VERSION. Be sure you have Garmin Mapsource Installed on an older windows computer for this procedure. Use MapSource with a Windows 32 Bit Computer ONLY. Garmin MapSource works best with Windows XP. Garmin MapSource may work with some versions of Windows Vista. Note that the problem with new Windows versions like Windows 7 and Windows 8 is they will normally not work with the usb programmer cable and user card.
Instructions for loading waypoints using Garmin Mapsource, Garmin Data Card and Garmin USB Programmer
- Open the MapSource program
- Open our proivided .GPX file. This will have all the Garmin userdata already in it
- You will see all the map data on the left side of the MapSource program
- NOW PLUG IN YOUR USB CORD WITH 256 or 128 MB BLANK USER CARD, (NOT a 512MB)
- Your computer may need time to download drivers for the usb cable. Please wait about 5 minutes (or more) before you move to the next step to be sure you computer has found and installed the drivers it needs to function properly with the Garmin USB Cable. Normally, the computer will find the drivers it needs. If you figure out it does not, phone Garmin for support.
LOADING OUR FISHING SPOTS GPX FILE TO THE BLANK GARMIN DATA CARD
- Click Transfer at the top of the screen
- Choose Send To Device
- In the new box that appears, make sure the device is set to USB Data Card Programmer
- If USB Data Card Programmer is not shown, please click the drop down menu button and choose USB Data Card Programmer
- In the section of this window titled “What to Send”, make sure that Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks have a check mark beside them (if applicable)
- Click the Send button
- Click the OK button when the message “The data was successfully sent” appears
Our Fishing Spots are now saved to the Garmin Data Card. Please follow these instructions for copying the data from the Data Card to the GPS Unit.
- With the device powered ON, open the card “door” remove any cards, then simply nsert the card into the card slot. It only inserts one way.
- A prompt may appear saying the User Card is inserted. Select OK or QUIT
- HOLD DOWN the Menu Key until the main menu appears.
- On the main menu, select “CARD” or “CARDS” or “USER CARD”
- On top of the Card screen, be sure Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks have a check mark beside them. If not, use your pad cursor and select them.
- Select Merge From Card and press the Enter button. A very fast status bar will appear, then a successful message will appear. DONE! GO FISHING!
Which Garmin GPS use the Garmin USB Programmer and Data Card?
Garmin Models using an old style Data Card and USB Programmer Cable. This is a list of Garmin GPS that require Garmin Blue Chart Chips and NOT SD Cards. You must have a blank user data card and USB programmer Cord to use with Garmin MapSource. Garmin Homeport will NOT work the following GPS models, only MapSource will work with the Garmin Marine GPS Models list below. Where can I get a Garmin USB Programmer and Data Card for use with Garmin MapSource?
|GPSMAP 172C||GPSMAP 420||GPSMAP 421|
|GPSMAP 178-188C||GPSMAP 420s||GPSMAP 421s|
|GPSMAP 276- 292||GPSMAP 520||GPSMAP 521|
|GPSMAP 298||GPSMAP 520s||GPSMAP 521s|
|GPSMAP 392||GPSMAP 530||GPSMAP 531|
|GPSMAP 398||GPSMAP 530s||GPSMAP 531s|
|GPSMAP 492||GPSMAP 540||GPSMAP 541|
|GPSMAP 498||GPSMAP 540s||GPSMAP 541s|
|GPSMAP 3205||GPSMAP 545||GPSMAP 546|
|GPSMAP 3005||GPSMAP 525||GPSMAP 526|
|GPSMAP 3210||GPSMAP 4210|
|GPSMAP 3010C||GPSMAP 4010|
|GPS 17HVS||GPS 17x NMEA 2000|